skip navigation

Nineteen hours later, Blaine puts away Eastview in game moved to Osseo

By JERRY ZGODA, Star Tribune, 11/09/18, 9:30PM CST


The Bengals' 42-14 victory in a Class 6A quarterfinal started on Thursday evening in White Bear Lake, where a power outage forced the game to finish 27 miles away on Friday afternoon.

Sophomore running back Will Frederickson carries the ball through the line of scrimmage. Frederickson tallied three rushing touchdowns for Blaine in a 42-14 victory over Eastsview. Photo by Cheryl Myers, SportsEngine

Second-ranked Blaine needed only 19 hours and 27 miles to make short work of upstart Eastview in a 42-14 Class 6A quarterfinal victory Friday.

The game started Thursday night in White Bear Lake and ended in bitter cold winter afternoon sun and shadow at snowy, windy Osseo High School. The change followed an electrical fire that knocked out stadium power at White Bear Lake and halted play just after halftime with Blaine leading 14-2 on a school night.

Eastviews Larry Wright (6) pulls in a pass from Erik Reimann for a touchdown late in the game. The Lightning fall to the Bengals in a two day contest by a score of 42-14 at Osseo High School. Photo by Cheryl Myers, SportsEngine

First report

It only took second-ranked Blaine about 19 hours and 27 miles to make short work of upstart Eastview with a 42-14 victory Friday in a Class 6A quarterfinal.

The game started Thursday night at White Bear Lake High School and ended in sun and shade with a cold wind Friday afternoon far away at Osseo High School. A power outage sparked by an electrical fire stopped play very soon after halftime on Thursday evening.

The two teams resumed play with Eastview possessing the ball exactly on the 50-yard line, with 10:33 left in the third quarter.

Blaine led 14-2 at the time after two second-quarter touchdowns came before the lights went out just after halftime. They scored two third-quarter touchdowns to make it four unanswered touchdowns for a 28-2 lead, the last one quarterback Will Fredrickson’s third rushing touchdown of the game.

Eastview scored its only touchdown over those two days with an 11-yard passing play with seven seconds gone in the fourth quarter.

The Bengals finished the 21-hour odyssey by scoring the two more touchdowns in that fourth quarter before Eastview scored the game’s final touchdown on a 30-yard passing play with 3:10 left.

Check back later for more on the game.

Football Hub Headlines