Lakeville North's 6-9 offensive lineman Bryce Benhart (68) and teammate Will Mostaert (91) head out onto the field before the start of the Panthers' game with Prior Lake on Oct. 12 at TCO Stadium in Eagan, Photo: DAVID JOLES • firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s a busy week with the start of section playoffs. The first round for all classes except Class 6A takes place Tuesday, with the second round held on Saturday. The first round of the Class 6A tournament is Friday.
FINAL METRO FOOTBALL TOP 10
1. Lakeville North (8-0): The best team in the state.
2. Blaine (8-0): The most pleasant surprise of the season.
3. Eden Prairie (7-1): Winners of six in a row and living up to expectations.
4. Woodbury (7-1): One rotten quarter — a 20-point defensive lapse in the second quarter of a Week 2 loss to Roseville — from a possible undefeated season.
5. St. Thomas Academy (5A, 8-0): One of the few Class 5A teams that would fare well against the best of 6A.
6. Champlin Park (6-2): Coach Nick Keenan’s first year at the helm has been a success.
7. Edina (6-2): Tough on both sides of the ball, but lacking big-play ability.
8. Rosemount (6-2): Another team that has found its late-season groove, winning six in a row.
9. East Ridge (5-3): Of the four 6A teams at 5-3, the Raptors’ résumé stands out.
10. Cretin-Derham Hall (5-3): After losing three consecutive, all to teams above them in the metro top 10, the Raiders have won three in a row.
Others worthy of consideration: Mounds View (5-3), St. Michael-Albertville (5-3), Buffalo (6-2), Elk River (5A, 7-1).