The 2020 Minnesota high school football all-star game, postponed last December, has been canceled after months of efforts to try and play the game in June.
“We understand the challenges everyone has faced over the past year and the disappointment of having to cancel this special event,’’ game director Dave Fritze wrote in an e-mail distributed Friday evening.
The game, last played in December 2019 at U.S. Bank Stadium, features features top senior players from across the state, divided into North and South rosters.
Fritz said the Minnesota Football Coaches Association, which organizes the event with the Minnesota Vikings, worked with public health officials and sought to “safely and responsibly’’ host the event, which also includes a showcase of activities related to the game.
Those discussions, including Minnesota Department of Health guidelines, sought to hold the game in June but eventually led to the decision to cancel the event ''in the best interest of our fans, student-athletes, and broader community,'' Fritze said.
The Vikings plan to host a private virtual event for players and coaches who had been set to participate.