Eden Prairie vs. Totino Grace prep football. Eden Prairie defensive back Belal Omar (6) stopped Totino Grace running back Lance Benick (10) for no gain. (MARLIN LEVISON/STARTRIBUNE(firstname.lastname@example.org)
It’s not exactly a news flash, but Eden Prairie has clearly established itself as the best team in Class 6A. The Eagles know they’re going to get every team’s best shot, yet not only have they handled it, they’ve responded with gut shots of their own.
Thursday’s 42-7 victory at Totino-Grace was prototypical Eden Prairie football. After the host tied the score 7-7 with a 99-yard kickoff return midway through the first quarter, the Eden Prairie offense ground down the Totino-Grace defense with three drives of nine or more plays en route to a 35-7 lead after three quarters.
The Eden Prairie defense, meanwhile, gave up just three first downs to Totino-Grace during that span and scored a defensive touchdown.
“We told our guys that [Totino-Grace] was a championship program that has won big games in the past,” said Eden Prairie coach Mike Grant. “We stepped up and played a great state championship-caliber game, just like we did the week before against Prior Lake.”
• Through three games, Minneapolis Washburn running back Jeffrey Jones, who has verbally committed to the Gophers, has scored 16 touchdowns.
• Three-time defending Class 2A champion Caledonia won its 29th consecutive game Friday — the longest current streak in the state — with a 40-8 victory over Goodhue.
• Northland, in Remer, Minn., ended a 29-game losing streak dating to 2009 with a 36-0 victory over Lake of the Woods.
METRO TOP 10
As selected by staff writer Jim Paulsen
1. Eden Prairie (3-0): QB Ryan Connelly is the best-kept secret in the metro. He would be the superstar on most other team.
2. East Ridge (3-0): The Raptors’ potent offense is averaging 46.3 points per game.
3. Minnetonka (4-0): The Skippers leaned on their defense in a 38-0 shutout of Bloomington Jefferson.
4. Lakeville North (3-0): RB Jamiah Newell has six TDs in the past two games.
5. Wayzata (2-1): The 56-point first half in Thursday’s victory over Anoka has the Trojans feeling better about the offense.
6. Maple Grove (3-0): The offense gets the attention, but the defense has given up just 20 points in three games.
7. Andover (2-0): QB Connor Wilkie has completed 51 of 62 passes (85.2 percent) for 986 yards and 11 TDs.
8. Prior Lake (2-1): The Lakers defense held Apple Valley to 160 total yards in a 29-6 victory.
9. Rosemount (2-1): QB Jackson Erdmann completed five passes in a victory over Bloomington Kennedy, all for touchdowns.
10. Stillwater (3-0): The Ponies were not awed by Friday’s national TV spotlight, shutting down Cretin-Derham Hall 21-7.
Others worth noting: Mounds View, Totino-Grace, Osseo, Hutchinson.
This week’s Star Tribune Spotlight Game will be Mahtomedi at South St. Paul, Friday’s battle for supremacy in the Classic Suburban.
Tag(s): Featured Star Tribune North South Metro East Mahtomedi South St. Paul Northland Goodhue Lake Eden Prairie Minnetonka Wayzata Minneapolis Washburn Lake of the Woods Anoka Maple Grove Andover Osseo Totino-Grace Apple Valley Bloomington Jefferson Bloomington Kennedy Lakeville North Prior Lake Rosemount Cretin-Derham Hall East Ridge Mounds View Stillwater Caledonia Hutchinson