DeLaSalle's Billy Hart, the team's No. 1 quarterback in the absence of Reid Travis, scored Friday against St. Croix Lutheran.
With enviable talent up and down its roster, no one is going to feel sorry for DeLaSalle.
But it was a rough two weeks for the Islanders, who lost two potential Division I football recruits to the allure of basketball.
Reid Travis, who quarterbacked the team last year and had been projected as a big-time college tight end, made a much-publicized decision in mid-August to focus on his basketball career.
A less well-known but no less detrimental blow was struck last week when James Lawson, a preseason Star Tribune Dream Team selection at wide receiver, also left the team with the idea of focusing on basketball.
DeLaSalle coach Sean McMenomy admitted it was disappointing to lose two players of that caliber but was pleased with the way his team responded, routing St. Croix Lutheran 40-8 Friday.
“It’s tough losing two Division I recruits in two weeks,” McMenomy said. “Those two guys have to do what’s best for them, and we wish them well. And it opens up opportunities for other players. I thought our guys stepped up.”
Metro Top 10
As selected by staff writer Jim Paulsen
1. Eden Prairie (1-0): Class 6A champion starts strong with a convincing 56-17 victory over Elk River
2. Wayzata (1-0): The Trojans survived a huge test, winning in double overtime at Rosemount.
3. Prior Lake (1-0): The Lakers rushed for 274 yards in a 40-21 victory over Eagan.
4. Minnetonka (2-0): QB Nick Rooney has passed for 482 yards and four TDs in victories over Hudson (Wis.) and Shakopee.
5. East Ridge (1-0): Raptors spotted White Bear Lake a 15-7 lead, then scored 41 points in a row in a 48-15 victory.
6. Lakeville North (1-0): Defense was the key in a 7-0 victory over Lakeville South, which was the Panthers' fourth straight in the rivalry.
7. Totino-Grace (1-0): Two late Coon Rapids touchdowns made the Eagles’ 23-12 victory look closer than it was.
8. Maple Grove (1-0): What a debut for Tahi Nomane. Senior RB had 248 yards and four TDs in a 41-0 rout of Armstrong.
9. Andover (1-0): QB Connor Wilkie lived up to the hype with 398 passing yards in a 42-14 victory over Champlin Park.
10. Rosemount (0-1): The Irish were impressive despite losing to Wayzata 24-21 in the season opener.
Friday’s Star Tribune Spotlight Game will feature District 112 rivals Chaska at Chanhassen.