• HOPKINS 36, MINNETONKA 34: In a classic case of last offense to touch the ball wins, Hopkins outlasted Minnetonka 36-34 on a touchdown pass with 0.9 seconds to play. Quarterback JT DenHartog and receiver Terrance Bowers connected for their second touchdown of the game, this one from 5 yards out, to overcome a four touchdown night from the Skippers' KeAndre Singleton.
Singleton's last touchdown came with 1:27 to play and gave Minnetonka a 34-30 lead. But the Royals went 60 yards for the winning score. The victory gives Hopkins the edge in the Class 6A, Section 6 seeding. The Royals (5-3) likely will earn the No. 4 seed and play host to Minnetonka (3-5) in a section quarterfinals rematch on Oct. 26.
DAVID LA VAQUE
• ROGERS 17, CAMBRIDGE-ISANTI 0: The Class 5A, No. 8 Royals' defense picked a great time to deliver its first shutout of the season, as they defeated the Jackets to finish 7-1. Rogers racked up nearly three times as many yards on the ground (221-86), and nearly double the yards per carry (5.0-2.6). Connor Henderson tossed a 31-yard touchdown pass to Parker Veith for Rogers' first score, with the second coming on a 1-yard run by Nate Weber.
• SHAKOPEE 35, FARMINGTON 7: The Sabers upset the Class 5A, No. 6 Tigers, dealing them their second loss of the season in blowout fashion as Shakopee rattled off the first 35 points of the game. It was a game of incredible balance for the Sabers, as the five touchdowns were scored by five different players, with Alexi Johnson successful on each extra-point.
• MAPLE GROVE 17, CHAMPLIN PARK 12: Receiver Jake Wieneke accounted for 201 of Blake Skaja's 226 passing yards -- as well as his lone passing touchdown -- as the Class 6A, No. 8 Crimson prevailed over the Rebels. Champlin Park's Dylan Saline had two interceptions. With the victory, Maple Grove wraps up its first winning season since 2007.
• LAKEVILLE NORTH 35, ROSEMOUNT 0: North pitched a shutout for the second consecutive week in toppling the Irish. Jamiah Newell was the headliner, rushing 17 times for 128 yards (7.5 average) and three touchdowns.
• PRIOR LAKE 41, BURNSVILLE 7: The Class 6A, No. 9 Lakers rattled off three first-quarter scores and never looked back in a big victory over the Blaze. A trio of Lakers scored two touchdowns apiece: Jack Johnson (two run), Nick Vanek (two pass), and Blake Weber (one receiving, one run). Will Reger had the lone score for Burnsville, a 17-yard run just before the first half ended.
• MOUNDS VIEW 40, PARK 0: The Class 6A, No. 6 Mustangs attack was consistent, with three touchdowns in each half as they rolled over the Wolfpack. Park rushed 25 times for zero yards, and actually lost 2 yards with its only completion on the evening. A trio of Mustangs spearheaded the scoring, with Mitch Fredrickson (two passes), Austin Smestad (one catch, one run), and Jeremy Redmond (one catch, one run) each accounting for two touchdowns.
Tag(s): News Star Tribune Hub Exclusive Rushing Passing Receiving Defense News North South Austin Lake Hopkins Minnetonka Mississippi 8 Cambridge-Isanti Rogers Missota Farmington Shakopee Northwest Suburban Champlin Park Maple Grove South Suburban Burnsville Lakeville North Prior Lake Rosemount Suburban East Mounds View Park Blake