Minneapolis South's plans to leave the City Conference and join the Lake Conference face opposition from the Minneapolis School District. Star Tribune file photo
The Minneapolis School District says South High School isn't taking its football team to another conference without district approval.
A statement released Thursday night by Minneapolis Public Schools' Chief Administrative Officer Mark Bollinger said the district would deny any athletic conference change based on the information it has been given about South’s plans.
South officials told the Star Tribune that the school intends to move its football program to the Lake Conference beginning in 2013.
"With the limited facts that have been shared with us, the superintendent would not approve any conference change at this time," Bollinger's statement said. "Any decision concerning schools changing athletic conferences is subject to approval from the superintendent."
South football coach Lenny Sedlock has said he and athletic director Mark Sanders were confident they did not need district consent to change conferences, but were pursuing approval out of respect.
Bollinger’s statement also said the district has not received any official request from South to change conferences.
Two school officials familiar with the discussions said South administration and several parents met with Bollinger and other district officials earlier this month to propose why the change would be beneficial to the city school.
According to the district, the Minneapolis City Conference has never had a member leave to pursue other competition.